We have talked more than once about board games, which took video games as a basis. In recent years, this direction has begun to receive a second life and actively develop, receiving more and more new games. Many people now have 1-2 or more board games based on video games on their waiting lists. Let’s try to figure out which video game based boards will appear on sale in the next year and a half and which of them are the most anticipated.
10. The Pit
The board game The Pit is an adaptation of the roguelike of the same name, which takes place in the Swords of the Stars strategy universe. This board is currently undergoing the Kickstarter fundraising procedure and has already received 80% of the necessary funding. The game will be a dungeon-crawler with miniatures in a sci-fi setting. The game looks good, but in general, the product is likely to remain niche.
9. Jetpack Joyride
Many fans of video games and mobile entertainment remember well the original, which appeared on sale at the dawn of modern mobile gaming and was in fact the first successful runner. After a long time, it still remains popular, and for some reason the authors decided to adapt it into a board game. Little is known about the game, except that it will be a puzzle based on a mobile game. In any case, it sounds quite intriguing, and we are waiting with interest for details, which, according to the authors, will not be long in coming.
- Puzzle through labs use tiles to Mark your path through the lab!
- Explore and score avoid obstacles and collect as many Coins as possible!
- Gear up and win complete various missions and equip the coolest gadgets for your next runs!
8. Resident Evil 2 and Jagged Alliance
In the 8th place, we decided to put two board games that are similar in concept – both are based on games from the 90s and look somewhat outdated.
Resident Evil 2 The board game is a game that was successfully funded on Kickstarter and looks almost like the original in appearance – angular and outdated. The most primitive design of all, according to the authors, should convey the atmosphere of the cult zombie horror, however, in fact, everything looks unfinished and like an outright parasite on the franchise.
- resident evil 2: the board game is a co-operative survival horror game for 1-4 players set in the resident evil universe.
- players choose from a number of familiar characters before venturing into the zombie-infested streets and buildings of raccoon city in a desperate fight to escape the nightmare!
- world-class miniatures and innovative new mechanics help deliver an experience that captures the essence of the much-loved original video games while offering new twists and turns.
- number of players: 1 – 4 // playing time: 90 – 120 minutes
Jagged Alliance is a cult turn-based strategy game that was released in the 90s, and then received a number of re-releases of varying degrees of trashy. The board game looks like a typical game designer’s “dream game”. However, it’s worth noting that the game overall is filled with references and fanservice of the game (like Resident Evil itself). Therefore, in spite of primitive mechanics and poor “graphic execution”, she will most likely find her player.
7. Sonic the Hedgehog: Battle Racers
The long-suffering blue hedgehog Sonic, who was once a real icon in the gaming industry, and has become a meme over time. In the States, they often say about Sonic, “I’m so old that I remember when good Sonic games came out.” Much of the blame lies with Sega, but despite this, Sonic has a lot of fans around the world, including our editorial office. The tabletop adaptation is a racing action game. Of course, this may not be what we expected, but still the game looks at least curious, and the authors promise quite a long support, including by introducing new game modes. It will be important to say that IDW Games has decided to release a similar game about Sonic, only in which everything will be much simpler and truncated.
- Race with four pre-painted figures from Sonic the Hedgehog
- Select a racer, choose your route, and fight your way to the finish
- Avoid opposing Racers and dangerous obstacles
- For ages 9 and up
- For 1 to 5 players
6. Shadow Tactics Blades of the Shogun
In terms of potential, this game can easily be at least in the top three of our top, but the fact that practically nothing is known about the game makes us somewhat moderate our ambitions and put it in 6th place, which, however, may grow significantly over time. The original is a use of all the best that was in the rather old tactical series Commandos, which in our country has a cult status. The board game, judging by the description, will be a tactical board game with a cooperative game mode.
5. Agents of Mayhem: Pride of Babylon
The board game Agents of Mayhem, like the original, which is a spin-off of Saint’s Row, looks awkward and at times ridiculous. But this is in a good sense of the word, since this is the corporate identity of the game series. The game is a tactical board game with a 3D field. The game looks quite original and bears little resemblance to other similar board games. At the moment there is a Late Pledge for this game, so it’s not too late to invest in it.
- Official board game based on the agent of Mayhem video game!
- Squad level tactical strategy board game featuring your favorite aom characters!
- Because blowing stuff up is fun
- 3D map board makes for an immersive and fantastic gaming experience.
- Team vs team play for 2-4 players. Mayhem vs Legion!
4. Crusader King
Crusader King is one of the best global strategy games that came from the pen of the famous developer Paradox. The time has come for a board game, especially since this step was obvious. And yes, there is a Kickstarter fundraiser currently underway for this board game. The money was collected quite quickly, and the opening of goals for growth is already underway. The board itself, judging by the description, will convey the spirit of the original, but in a somewhat simplified form, although it will still remain a fairly deep game.
- 3-5 players
- 2-3 hour playing time
A board game based on a very unusual game that is a submarine simulator. The gameplay, judging by the Kickstarter campaign, will be very unusual and definitely “not for everyone”, but still this board game is not a soulless attempt to make money on the franchise, but a full-fledged attempt to make a high-quality, interesting and very original product based on no less unusual, original video game.
2. Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat
We decided to merge the two games, since they are essentially the same adjusted for the setting. Two cult fighting games will soon become board games (if you add Tekken to them, it would be generally magical). Street Fighter, on the other hand, recently took off on Kickstarter with an impressive fundraising campaign that ended successfully. More than 2 million dollars and about 10,000 depositors are very eloquent figures. At the same time, the authors added a lot of game characters and a bunch of game modes, from large and long to very short, which can be described as “bonus”. The game looks very interesting and we really hope that Jasco Games realized its mistakes made in the Megaman Board Game and this time will not let you down. And considering all the arguments set out at one time, it seems that we are in for a 100% hit.
- Based on the classic arcade game
- Take on the roles of Ryu, Ken, Chun-Li and many other characters from the game series
- Add new abilities as you accumulate more powerful cards
1. Fallout Wasteland Warfare
Well, in the first place, of course, he, Fallout Wasteland Warfare. A great looking board game (wargame) set in the universe of the world’s best post-apocalypse with a bunch of beautiful miniatures and many game modes. What else can you expect? After the somewhat incomprehensible Fallout from FFG, the expectations of fans from this board are simply overwhelming, and everyone just won’t understand if the game turns out to be weak, so dear Modiphus – we believe in you and we ask you not to let you down. We are waiting for our copy in early July and then we will tell you in great detail about this game.
- Play in apocalyptic games of 3-30 high-quality 32mm scale resin miniatures through a huge variety of iconic scenery and settlement buildings, from the red rocket to sanctuary hills, Coca-Cola vending machines and wrecked vehicles.
- For 1-8 players, Ages 14+, 30-240 minute playing time
- Players build their own crew from a wide range of factions, allies, and iconic characters from the Fallout series that also comes with a customizable solo-play ai deck
- Players build their own crew from a wide range of factions, allies, and iconic characters from the Fallout series