Zombies appeared on the streets of our glorious city one morning. A lot of. They are gray, dumb, they want brains. What are we going to do, comrade? Otherwise, they can gobble it up … Maybe we can practice survival?
1. Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game
One of the main subgenres of zombie games is the simulation of the survival of a group of people in a certain area. You and your comrades (theoretically) need to find a way out of the location, simultaneously fighting off the crowds of the living dead with improvised objects and collecting useful things such as gasoline, ammunition and food.
One of the first memorable board games on this topic was Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game, released in 2007.
A city map was randomly assembled from a set of modules. One player took control of four selected heroes, and the other took control of hordes of zombies that appeared in accordance with the decks of additional conditions cards.
- For 2-6 players. Takes 60-90 minutes.
- Last Night on Earth is a fast-paced game of brain-eating Zombies, small town Heroes, and horror movie action. Players take on the role of either the Heroes or Zombies. Includes 22 exquisitely detailed plastic miniatures. Modular game board means you can build a new town at the start of each game. Different game scenarios change the plot and objectives each time you play.
- In Growing Hunger the living nightmare of the Zombie attack continues, the bitter struggle for survival grows increasingly deadly. Desperate for flesh, Zombies swarm over the town of Woodinvale, leaving a gruesome wake of death and destruction in their path. With nowhere to hide and a renewed determination, the remaining Heroes add more survivors to their ranks and find new weapons to fight back the growing hunger of the dead.
- With the Blood in the Forest expansion the Heroes are pushing further into the woods to escape the Zombie overrun town of Timber Peak, the small band of survivors encounter new horrors at every turn. Savagely hungry Feral Dead stalk the trails for fresh meat, and several of the old logging crew now roam the forest in their hunt for brains, dragging behind them their still-running chainsaws!
- Two Bonus Skull and Crossbones Pin Back Buttons
“Last Night on Earth” won the hearts of players and reviewers with its innovative gameplay, beautiful game miniatures and high enough interest for repeated playthroughs. The game has won several major awards and four expansion packs have been released.
A separate feature of the design was that all the images on the cards and in the rules were shot live with the help of actors and without the use of computer graphics.
In 2012, Guilliotine Games crowdfunded the starter ideas from Last Night, simplified and combined them with the standards of fantasy role-playing games, and launched the most successful zombie game to date – Zombicide.
In it, players control a party of several heroes who must complete certain tasks: find a quest item, hack to the exit from the location, or overwhelm the “zombie boss”, because of which everything is bad here.
The success of the game was truly epic. In addition, the developers skillfully warmed it up, gradually saturating the Zombicide universe with new locations (prison, shopping center), modes (team-on-team against zombies) and even settings (from modern times to the Middle Ages, where, in addition to zombies, werewolves, orcs and other characters).
So if your company wants to hunt zombies for three hours in the evening – feel free to take it.
- Standalone expansion – the dark side Set can be used entirely on its own or combined with other zombicide: invader sets to create truly epic encounters.
- New survivors – green Squad consists of six new survivors, along with a new Bot and a Sentry gun. They have the training and equipment, now they just need a little cunning and luck to survive
- New foes – the Driller xenos burrow at frightening speed. Able to pop up almost out of nowhere, they are a dangerous foe that can suddenly attack from any direction.
3. Death of Winter
But let’s say we got to a safe place and are preparing to survive. But as? What to grab for, where to run, how to distribute resources, and where to get them, in the end?
Players control a group of survivors in the zombie apocalypse, who were lucky enough to get together and find a safe place (the so-called colony). At the beginning of the party, all participants get control of a part of the general pool of characters and one main goal.
After all, each player has his own task hidden from others. Secret. Which may not coincide at all with the general goal of the colony and lead not to its survival, but, on the contrary, to destruction.
In the course of the game, the characters are forced to cope with new local crises. Try to bring victory closer by helping each other and resisting hordes of zombies.
What drives your neighbor? Will he help you in difficult times? Will you give resources to a good cause? And isn’t he a traitor at all?
There are many questions, the answers are learned during the game. “Not only everyone” will survive to the final.
- Made in USA or Imported
- For 2-5 Players
- 90 minute playing time
- Great co-op game
- Playable in 100 minutes
- For ages 12 plus
- For two to five players
- Ages 13 and up
- Playable in 100 minutes
If managing a small colony is a shallow one for you, then a separate game Raxxon was released in the same setting, in which players control specialists (mayor, epidemiologist, economist) of an entire city. Participants need to separate the infected zombies from normal people, save them behind strong walls, and then evacuate them to hell.
And they also need to be fed, watered, maintained – and so on, and so on. In general, worries will not turn around wherever you spit.
Players win when all healthy characters have left the infected area, but this requires a lot of sweat.
But these are also flowers …
- Cooperative game of memory and luck,
- Entertaining game for friends and family
- Board Game
5. The Zombie State: Diplomacy of the Dead
In the 2010 game The Zombie State: Diplomacy of the Dead, the player had to lead no less than … the continent!
The plot is standard: the world was struck by the global MV1 virus, almost all people died, countries united, and you were appointed as their leader. So you have to think about how to feed the survivors in the state of New York, how to fight off a zombie attack in the Sahara, and what to charge scientists in Novosibirsk for development in the first place: a new medicine or an effective weapon?
A game somewhat reminiscent of global strategies like Risk! or Axis and Allies, did not become an absolute hit due to the rather realistic and cruel attitude towards the participants: to win, you have to sacrifice something (and someone). And zombies, unlike living people, will not know fatigue, doubts and problems.
So the chances of losing the game are very, very high. Nevertheless, fans of global strategies remember it … it’s a pity that the world of board games is now ruled by other games.